For a safe journey with your dog in the car, please consider the following
The picture of the little dog sticking his head out of the car window is too cute, but actually everything you see in the picture is wrong or too dangerous. So it’s a good example of what not to do.
Everyone knows the cute pictures of dogs sticking their heads out the window and enjoying the wind.
From the dogs point of view a lot of arguments speak for this.
- he are curious and wants to know everything
- It will be a feast for the furry friends’ olfactory cells, they get so much more information.
- Of course, this also cools our dogs down if they are always panting at high temperatures.
Now our dogs are like little children, they don’t know any better and in these beautiful photos like here as the main image for this post, pretty much everything that can go wrong when traveling with a dog in the car is wrong.
Is it dangerous if the dog looks out the window while driving?
Even if it looks cute, please consider the following apsects:
- the dog can be injured by objects flying around (pebbles, twigs, etc.)
- Depending on the speed driven, the wind has a very high force. This can cause your dog to have trouble breathing.
- The ears are also very sensitive. The loudness of the wind and the coldness when driving with hiog hspeed can cause damage to the ears and the hearing
- he dog may get eye irritation from the wind or the dust
He might jump out the window if he sees something exciting
- If the window accidentally closes while he’s sticking his head out, he could get trapped. Imagine the dog puts his paw on the window control
- In the event of sharp braking or an accident, your furry friend could also be thrown out of the window or injured by the impact
Most often asked question about traveling with the dog by car and how to prepare for a safe trip:
- for young and untrained dogs. Get your dog used to the car by letting them sit in it with you without leaving the driveway, and then going for short rides.
- Avoid carsickness by letting your dog travel on an empty stomach. However, make sure he has plenty of water at all times.
- Keep the car well ventilated. If the dog is in a crate, make sure that fresh air can flow into the crate.
- Consider a dog seat belt or dog car seat to keep your dog safe. The danger of a dog inside a car is not only that he will be injured in case of an car accident, the dog will become a dangerous
- Do not let your dog ride with his head sticking out of an open window. This can lead to eye injuries.
- Never let your dog ride in the back of an open truck. This is extremely dangerous and can lead to severe injuries or death. The dog can become a dangerous projectile for the people in the car. A dog that weighs only 10 kilograms develops forty times its weight, i.e. 400 kilograms, with an impact of only 40 km/h and if it flies from back to front it can break the neck of the person sitting in front.
- Stop frequently for exercise and potty breaks. Be sure to clean up after your dog.
- Car rides are boring for everyone, so instruct your children not to tease or annoy the dog in the car.
- Never, ever leave your dog unattended in a closed vehicle, particularly in the summer. If you must leave the car, designate a member of the family to stay with the dog
The danger of leaving a dog in the car when the outside temperature is high and letting it die an agonizing death
When you read the news like every summer or see that children or dogs were left in a car and died in the car as a result, you are always stunned and angry. You think that something like this could never happen to you, but is that really true?
Scientists call this the “doorway effect” which is a known psychological event, where a person’s memory declines when passing through a doorway moving from one location to another.
The dog/child can be sleeping or very quiet when you leave the car
You may think, “I will be back in a minute” and then suddenly you are distracted and forgot about the vulnerable beeings in the car exposed to the danger of the surrounding temperatures.
Below is a table demonstrating roughly the danger and it is said that kids and dogs can left in a hot vehicle, that their temperature can rise quickly and they could die within minutes.
|Tempperature in the car |
after 5 min
|30 Min||60 Min|
|20 C / 68 F||24 C / 75 F||36 C / 97 F||46 C / 115 F|
|22 C / 72 F||26 C / 79 F||38 C / 100 F||48 C / 118 F|
|24 C / 75 F||28 C / 82 F||40 C / 104 F||50 C / 122 F|
|26 C / 79 F||30 C / 86 F||42 C / 108 F||52 C / 126 F|
|28 C / 82 F||32 C / 90 F||44 C / 111 F||54 C / 130 F|
|30 C / 86 F||34 C / 93 F||46 C / 115 F||56 C / 133 F|
|32 C / 90 F||36 C / 97 F||48 C / 118 F||58 C / 136 F|
|34 C / 93 F||38 C / 100 F||50 C / 122 F||60 C / 140 F|
|36 C / 97 F||40 C / 104 F||52 C / 126 F||62 C / 144 F|
|38 C / 100 F||42 C / 108 F||54 C / 130 F||64 C / 147 F|
|40 C / 104 F||44 C / 111 F||56 C / 133 F||68 C / 154 F|
Please be carefule when traveling with kids and dogs in a car. Never leave them behind. Think about the “Doorway effect”. It can happen to everybody.
The list abobe with all our reccomendation is not complete and covering the basic rules. If you have suggestions for us what to add or a hopefully funny story for us to share please send us a mail.